Week 1 about Me/ Marketing in the News 1

A little about me and my marketing interests..


  • What prompted you to enroll in this course?

         - I was prompted to join this class because it is one of the few classes available at LBCC that   pertains to my major. I read the syllabus and it was a course that was very hands on and seemed as if it would give me experience instead of just studying what others are doing in marketing. 
  • Are you a business/marketing major?
- Yes, I am going to be a marketing major at OSU when I transfer. For now I am obtaining a transfer degree and raising my GPA.
  • What are you most interested in learning about marketing?
- I am most interested in social media and product marketing. I hope to get a career within the music industry either working for a record label or a promotion company. There is a company that puts on festivals and events in the northwest and that is one I hope to work for. Marketing is involved within every aspect of the music industry because it is all about marketing artists or the events being put on. I am also working on a few ideas with some friends for products for festival goers as well. I hope my marketing experience gained can help with this as well.  
  • Tell us something you are passionate about outside of college
- I enjoy going to the gym plenty as well as having a passion for music. I attend a lot of music festivals and have started to come up with a few ideas for products to sell at these shows which has taken up a lot of my free time.


MARKETING IN THE NEWS

The article that I chose for this week was one that caught my eye due to its beginning process and its startup process for marketing as well. Ryan Schonike and Rob Ianelli started a business called Norton Point that takes recycled plastic from ocean and turns it into sunglasses. The main element in sunglasses is plastic, thats an obvious known fact. So being able to get plastic for cheap is a great idea for cutting costs. These two are helping with a large issue in the world by removing harmful plastics in the ocean, all while making money in the process. In the article it states that there is over 100 Million dollars worth of usable plastic giving this business an incredible amount of power behind them. The article speaks on how the pair of founders is using startup funding platforms like KickStarter to not only generate funding but to market their product and create advocates for the product.

Marketing Relevance

The main idea of this article that caught my eye from a marketing standpoint was how the company was using KickStarter. Most see KickStarter in its basic way of just being a source of funding and funding alone for an idea that is already been put in place. Norton Point is using it as a way to market to its customers before hand by showing the good they are doing for the world by removing these plastics from the ocean. They are also using it as a way to show right off the bat that this product is stunning, making the initial reaction unforgettable to those who see it for the first time.

Value Proposition

The value proposition for this company is that is a sustainable product that is helping a global issue. Customers know that when they purchase from this company they are helping remove plastic which gives them a sense of satisfaction by helping combat a problem without personally having to go remove that plastic.

What I learned

I learned that companies can really pull on peoples "heart strings" all while making a profit in the process. This company is doing well because they are making something people love and helping the world be cleaner and more sustainable in the process. Being able to make money and do something to leave an impact is something entrepreneurs should strive to do.

Here a a few links to the article and the website as well!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Listening/ Marketing in the News 2